Friday 26 November 2010

BAF 2010


This years Bradford Animation Film Festival was the second one I have attended and I have to say, I shall be looking forward to next year especially if they have any speakers similar to Paul Mendoza from Pixar... that was certainly the hi-light for me. The talk he gave was inspiring, how he works, how the studio works, simple little details such as how they all get to animate one or two scenes in a movie... and how he prepares for a scene or character. Also to remember that we are not quite ready for realism in our animations, especially with human characters.

I've heard this before and it seems a bit like the theory Im working on for my character archetypes book project, - for example you could see the dog from the 'lady and the tramp' movie on TV and we all recognise it as a dog. However if we were to see it walking down our street outside we would clearly be thinking... thats a very strange looking dog!

Amazing! Anyhow I managed the following notes; Key things to remember -
  • Subtlety / meaningful change,
  • Physicality,
  • Planning, Posing - situations,
  • Develop + maint original ideas,
  • character study.
I liked the idea that they watch programmes such as Seinfield for influence with animated characters like Cosmo Kramer. He also discussed how characters should have contrasting personalities. So the main character could be really animated and the surrounding ones would have contrasting personalities, so not much movement.

Here are some of the people that Paul mentioned to keep an eye on regarding their work in the industry;
  • Simon Varela (Concept artist) realism but with character 'Finding Nemo'.
  • Doug Sweetland from 'Toy Story 2'
  • Andrew Stanton 'Wall-E' Director
Ps - I was thinking that Wall-e reminded me of Johnny number 5! (Short circuit) showing my age ;) but I was pleased I got it.

No comments:

Post a Comment